Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tree Swallow

Tree Swallow posing for a portrait!

I stand on the deck with a feather in my hand, and at just the right time, I toss one up, and a Tree Swallow comes swooping down and catches it in her beak right before my eyes, and off to the nest she goes with it!  Sometimes, they let it go in mid air and catch it again.  I read somewhere that they do that to dry the feather before taking it back to the nest, and sometimes, they are just playing with it.

This little beauty is waiting on the ''fly through'' perch for a feather to take back to the nesting site.  The Tree Swallows will use the feathers and dry grasses to keep the nestlings warm and dry.

Do you remember seeing my Tree Swallows post last year?  You can revisit them here



No comments:

Post a Comment